Leaving the Debian-R team [Was: Code of conduct and freedom of speach (Was: Matrix update triggering need for four rebuilds)]

Hi Andreas and the Debian-R team,

On Sat, Nov 18, 2023 at 09:05:18AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Am Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 04:25:21PM -0600 schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel:

> > | I told you even two ways you can control yourself.  Pick one and be so
> > | kind to spare your fellow DDs public accusations.
> >
> > Rest assured that I will *always* correct when you are both PLAIN wrong and
> > also silly about it.
>
> I do not comment on statements violating our code of conduct[1].  Last
> warning before I report this kind of conversation.
> <snip>
> Just to explain this off-topic comment for the readers of this list.

After a good sleep and some thinking, I have decided to leave the debian R team effectively immediately.
Hence, all the packages where I am listed as the only uploader should be up for grabs.
I've left the team on salsa and will be unsubscribing from this mailing list shortly.

Please remove my name from Uploaders in r-team packages if/when you touch them (sorry, I was
lazy and did not feel like doing so myself) - there are not many of them.

My real life situation has changed quite a bit since I first joined the team.
These days, I simply do not have the energy and time to spend on uncalled for discussions/delibrations due to
core R packages (r-base, rmatrix etc) with ABI changes being bumped and pushed to unstable without following
the proper "debian" procedure to do so.
This accounts for lot of extra work for the team and there have been instances when
you were not available (i.e. on VAC which is perfectly OK) and I had to handle such transitions end-to-end on my own with
pushing a bunch of re-build changes.

In addition to that, I do not have the time to engage in unfounded accusations on public mailing lists that we both get from time
to time from the R package maintainer. I think there are simply better places that I should spend my debian time on.

Lastly, I am also not a user of the debian r-team packages I have helped in maintaining all these years and the amount of R I use
for anythng is fairly minimal (I mostly do python). Hence, the motivation to keep contributing to r-packages is even less.

That being said, if you ever need my help in any R specific bug; for instance in stanheaders where we are maintaining some
debian specific patches, do not hesitate to reach out to me privately.

Looking back, as per teammetrics stats[1-2], I have done quite some work with 776 uploads and 1879 commits. It was definitely
fun while it lasted. I will keep working with you (and other folks) in other teams where we are both active.

I wish you and the rest of the Debian R team all the very best!

> [1] https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct
> [2] https://wiki.debian.org/binNMU
[3] http://blends.debian.net/liststats/uploaders_r-pkg.png
[4] http://blends.debian.net/liststats/commitstat_pkg-r.png