Re: Naming of source and binary packages (Was: Ruby packaging in wheezy: gem2deb, new policy, etc.)

On 05/03/11 at 16:01 -0300, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> Lucas Nussbaum escreveu isso aí:
> > OK, but then we have a problem: gem2deb currently generates source
> > packages named like the gem. This might be OK as a default, but I think
> > that we should have an option to switch to ruby-* source naming.
> > Anyone willing to make the changes?
>
> Actually it generates source packages with the same as the gem, and
> binary packages named like ruby-* by default.
>
> I've fixed that and sent you a pull request:
> https://github.com/ln/gem2deb/pull/13

Thanks, merged!

> > In the meantime, I will make a first upload of the gem2deb package to
> > Debian experimental. The other changes (installation of gemspec ; ruby-*
> > source name) can wait for the next upload.
> >
> > I'll post the link of the wiki page to -devel@ shortly, too.
> >
> > I think that the plan could be:
> > - upload gem2deb to experimental
> > - upload updated interpreter packages to experimental
> > - update a dozen of libs to use gem2deb, upload to experimental
> > If everything is fine at this point, move everything to unstable.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Just one thing: since there is no previous version of gem2deb in
> unstable, I don't see the point of uploading it to experimental first.

True. However, it's also a way to say that it should not be used by
everybody yet.

I'm also working on updated ruby1.8, ruby1.9.1, ruby-defaults and
libgems-ruby packages, that I will upload to experimental too.

- Lucas