Re: Installation woes get worse - and wierd

OK, I did this and checked the manual. Now I can safely state that the
slink CD, that is the kernel that installs into memory from the Slink
CD crashes if there is more than 128M - at least on my Sparc. After
the installation the memory is no longer a problem.

In fact by simply removing all but two of the 64M modules I was able
to install. Though I probably shorted myself a little on the disk
space with my guesses.

Do I need to make my SCSI drive SCSI 3 to get it to boot or can I just
set boot to disk3, and does it matter?

Then after I got through an install - before I could put in a root
passwd - the machine went into some sort of dizzy loop - telling me to
put in a passwd and writing to the screen too fast. I was able to get
at the console form alt-f2 etc, just the one screen was useless.

Is there a way to trigger it to pick up where it did when it was
trying to ask for a root password after the install? It seems to be
working but I haven't been able to find the passwd command or figure
out how to resume the installation. And with root not needing a
password I pulled it out of my network for now.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us