xconsole and who owns /dev/console?

  Hello. I have done some housecleaning and some of my on-going
X-related problems have disappeared, but not my xconsole problem.

  Two things about using xconsole on my present setup strike me as
suspicious:

  (1) no messages appear in user gonzo's xconsole window unless root
issues a
		kill -HUP `cat /var/syslog.pid`

   (2) possibly as a consequence of (1), gonzo *owns* /dev/console
after he quits X (on my setup /dev/console is a link to /dev/tty0).

    Is the system trying to tell me that I (as `root') should not be
allowing users to run xconsole?

    Bill