kernel 1.3.xx compile problems..

Quick question guys,
Installed the debian 1.1 (unstable) distribution, with no problems. But
  while compiling anything using the 1.3 kernels and gcc 2.7.2 r5, do you
get any errors about
gcc: <blah> <blah> received fatal signal 11??

in specific, i am getting this error message when trying to compile the
linux kernels (1.3.72,1.3.77,1.3.78). What generates this 'fatal signal'
is my main question. I believe it is local to my system, otherwise it
might have been 'fixed' as a kernel bug. maybe not?

This error message appears intermittently when making the .o files
(objects) of the drivers, kernel, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong when taking this approach:
 - Delete the affected .o file (if created) and rerun 'make zImage'
   (been doing this at least once per kernel compilation, but never
    did finish.. accidentaly deleted the entry.o file.. as i'm typing this
   i'm recompiling after reinstalling 1.3.77)

Finally, my system is a 486/40, TI 486, AMI chipset, 8MB RAM, 2 850MB HD.

Any suggestions/comments??

Thanks,
-Frank