Re: Once burned...

I just set up a machine sort of like that one . . .

From: neuwirth@pobox.com <neuwirth@pobox.com>
>I have a Logitech TrackMan Marble (same connector as the standard PS/2 port
>mouse),

use /dev/psaux, I think you need to load a kernel module.

>an HP DeskJet 820 CSE on LPT1,
ATI Video Expression+ (Direct
>Draw) video card,

Should work fine for X, think of it as an "ATI Mach 64"

>and a Sound III 336SP Sound Card

Probably SB16 compatible

>and 333 modem combination (OEM stuff).

Watch out . . this might be one of those "WinModem" type
things which only works under Microsoft Windows!

>The other Linux either didn't recognize any of
>them or I couldn't figure out how to make it; actually I never had the
>chance to try the modem.
>
>The other Linux did recognize both my hard drives and my CD.
>
>Sorry to be so wordy but I'd rather not set it all up again only to find I
>can't use it. Anyway, is there a way to find out specifically if Debian 2
>will be able to support my hardware?

see http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html

Usually device support is a kernel rather than a distribution
issue.  Debian 2.0 beta comes with a fairly recent kernel,
but you may still want to build your own kernel.  I needed to update to 2.0.34
in order to support my 3c905b.

- Marsh