Re: Once burned...

As far as the 820 is concerned, the following is from the Ghostscript
printer compatibility page (www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/printer.html):

The HP DeskJet 720C, 722C, 820C and 1000C are PPA printers. They will
   not work with the PCL drivers above. You are expected to use PPA
   printers with a special Windows printer driver. You might be able to
   use the Ghostscript mswinpr2 device which is only available under
   Windows and talks to the Windows printer driver. A PPA driver for the
   HP820C does exist for Ghostscript. It was written without access to
   documentation. See ftp://ftp.ig.utexas.edu/outgoing/scottk/820C/

You'd have to compile your own ghostscript from the source code, adding
this driver, instead of just installing the Debian gs-aladdin package, but
it should work.

----