fvwm2/xterm/bash/(child process) problem part II

Say I run a process in the background from an xterm. For example,

	emacs &

Then, if I kill the xterm by clicking on the X in the right, top corner,
it ALSO kills emacs. On the other hand, if I kill the xterm by typing
`exit' at the command line, the emacs job continues. I want to have the
corner button under fvwm2 act like 'exit' so that I can close the shell
either way. At the moment under fvwm2, the corner button is mapped to
the builtin fvwm2 function "close".

[addition] What it seems like I would need to do is to kill the shell
rather than the xterm.

Is there any way to do this? Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Cheers, Colin.