Re: Another try - help to fix arrow keys in X

Brian Servis wrote:

  <snip about some keys not working in X>

> So it looks like your keymap is all messed up.  Are you running xmodmap
> or anything at the start of your xsession?  Try using xev again and
> walking through all your keys, maybe you will see a pattern. You could
> also try using xkeycaps for the same purpose.
>
> --
> Brian

Key	Keycode
---	-------
Up	111
Down	116
Left	113
Right	114
Ins	118
Del	119
Home	110
End	115
PgUp	112
PgDn	117
PrtScrn	107
SrlLck	 78
Pause	127
NumLck	 77
/	106
*	 63
7	 79
8	 80
9	 81
4	 83
5	 84
6	 85
1	 87
2	 88
3	 89
0	 90
.	 91
+	 86
Enter	104

I don't have an .Xmodmap file in my home directory, nor do I have an
.Xsession or .Xinit, etc file. I do have a .xsession-errors file and an
.Xauthority file, but those are the only X-related files I see in my
home directory.

The /etc/X11/Xmodmap is apparently completely commented out (I'm
assuming the "!" character at the start of a line is a comment
character).

The /etc/X11/Xsession.options file only has five lines:
allow-failsafe
allow-user-modmap
allow-user-resources
allow-user-xsession
use-ssh-agent

The /etc/X11/Xsession file has the following lines that may/may not be
relevant:

optionfile=/etc/X11/Xsession.options
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/Xmodmap
usrmodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
startup=$HOME/.xsession
  .
  .
  .
if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
  if [ -f $usrresources ]' then
    xrdb -merge $usrresrouces
  fi
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
  if grep -qs ^allow-user-modmap $optionfile; then
    if [ -f $usrmodmap ]; then
      xmodmap $usrmodmap
    fi
  fi