Re: Multiple desktops in lightdm?

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 5:34 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu 06 Nov 2014 at 12:49:45 -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 4:14 AM, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > A different method to achieve the same thing would be to use Ctrl-Alt-Fx
>> > to switch to a console, login and start another X instance with
>> >
>> >     startx -- :1
>>
>> You don't even need the "-- :1" any more.  startx is now smart enough
>> to find an unused display on its own.
>
> Nowadays (testing/unstable) a simple 'startx' doesn't even have to hunt
> around for an unused display because it will always bring X up on the
> tty it is started from.

A display and a tty aren't quite the same thing.  It still has to
figure out what display (what you see when you run "echo $DISPLAY") to
use.

And starting up X on the text tty is really awful in my opinion.  I
liked it much better when 1-6 was reserved for text and 7-12 for
graphics.  How do you even see console messages now?

Eric