Re: Prevent package from removal

On 8/5/15, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 18:45:49 +0200
> Floris <jkfloris@dds.nl> wrote:
>
>> now the libstdc++6 transition is going on $ sudo apt-get
>> dselect-upgrade is happy when I remove gdm3, gnome-shell and a lot of
>> other packages. Is there a setting to prevent packages from
>> un-installing? Like the big warning when you try to delete the
>> base-files package.
>>

> apt-get upgrade or aptitude safe-upgrade shouldn't remove anything. For
> the last few days I have been using Synaptic on sid, to try to find the
> three or four packages which will upgrade without wanting to remove
> anything, but I've got another page and a half held up at the moment.
> And in 64-bit sid, openssl and lvm2 have been held up for bugs for
> many weeks. It's not a quiet time.

Man, I'm all over this right now. Finally broke down and am actually
"testing"... on a partition now dedicated for that purpose. I let
apt-get intentionally remove libreoffice just a little bit ago, and,
as expected, it ain't reinstalling.

Up to that point, I'd also and still been doing the "cherry picking"
method of upgrading anything that did NOT uninstall libreoffice. So
far, that method hasn't broken anything, just leaves the rest of the
still needed upgrades hanging precariously in the cherry tree..

My Plan B now is to go ahead and upgrade everything else then try
again to reinstall libreoffice and see what, if anything, happens.
Yeah, I know... *pipe dream*

Going Plan B even though I know it's going to fail won't amount to any
extra wear and tear on either my dialup provider or any of Debian's
volunteer repository servers BECAUSE.... I don't plan on losing the
118MB worth of package archive files that will be downloading
throughout today.. Those packages will still be here stored locally so
they won't need downloaded again as I work through similar to what you
all are also experiencing right now..

I, for one, had become spoiled as to how STABLE... UNSTABLE had been
in recent months. That stability was undoubtedly because I came into
the game as the various impending releases were on the verge of being
bumped up the release ladder. This experience now is just surely the
reality of unstable at its finest at the start of each new cycle of
Debian's regular major release cycles...

Hope that made sense.. Did on this end.. :)

Cindy :)

PS I don't know if it has always been there but the apt-get
acknowledgement that unstable could be the villain of certain upgrade
fails is __NICE__. I didn't see it the other day but have seen it
several times over the last two days. That kind of thing is VERY user
friendly just for reasons like people sometimes DO forget they're on
unstable when it runs as... stable as I personally have seen Sid be
until the last couple days.....

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* My brain hurts.............. k/t Debian *