Re: Should a serious bug have made in into bullseye 11.5?

On Mon, 12 Sept 2022 at 23:21, Tim Woodall <debianuser@woodall.me.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2022, Andy Smith wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 12:00:20PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:

> >> Obviously, no one desires for there to be bugs, so your question
> >> doesn't really make sense. "Should bugs make it into Debian releases"?
> >
> > Ah, sorry, I think I misunderstood - you are literally asking if the
> > presence of a severity "serious" bug in Grub should have prevented
> > the whole 11.5 point release happening?
> >
> > I don't know. The only documentation I can find on the matter is
> > about full Debian releases and even that says the bugs would have to
> > be apmrked "release-critical" (RC) to block release, so not even
> > "critical" may have postponed things.
> >
> Interesting. I didn't find this bug report until after I'd already
> tracked down the culprit package and was ready to file my own bug.
>
> > My gut feeling is that there's going to be quite a lot of
> > "serious"-level bugs in any point release and that no one works to
> > associate these with a recent upload and then prevent that going
> > into a new point release.
> >
> > It still feels more useful to focus on how such problems can be
> > avoided in future. I don't think we can explore the release team
> > looking at every "serious" bug in every package otherwise they'd
> > never get a point release out.
> >
> Agreed. While I tend to try to file bugs at the lowest severity that can
> be justified, I know that others go the other way. This is one I'd
> probably have filed as Grave or even Critical. (I see it's now been
> bumped to Grave)
>
> It just felt wrong to me that this bug (and version bump of the
> package) could go to stable without someone at least acknowleging the
> bug. AFAICT there's no fundamental reason it needed to go out. If it was
> that the reporter should have marked it grave or critical then fair
> enough, just unfortunate that they didn't.

Bugs are occasionally present on stable packages.

I have apt-listbugs installed.

By default, it warns about critical,grave,serious bugs on the
package, and asks for confirmation before installing the package.
This provides an opportunity to read the bug and make a decision
about whether to install the buggy package, or hold the package
at a previous version.