Re: Should a serious bug have made in into bullseye 11.5?

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 10:10:33AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
>>Well, my focus would be on two things: (a) the change in compatibility
>>level in debhelper in the middle of stable's lifetime
>
>That would not have ordinarily happened, and probably shouldn't have
>happened in this case. Other non-minimal-security changes were backed
>out for bullseye (namely the change to os-prober behavior) but this was
>either overlooked or not realized to be a significant change. Usually a
>stable update package would be modified from the version in stable
>rather than backported from unstable, but in this case there were no
>intermediate versions in unstable and it was probably thought safer to
>use the package which had been tested in unstable rather than starting
>over and potentially introducing a new bug. That probably was even true,
>as the problem was identified during the test period on unstable -- but,
>unfortunately, the priority of the bug didn't bubble up. I think this is
>just one of those cases where mistakes happen (in this case, several
>that aligned in an unfortunate way) and regardless of how hard we
>(humans) try to avoid them sometimes we don't.

Yup, you've nailed it. We've had a stack of security bugs that needed
fixing in grub, and I chose to move both buster and bullseye forwards
to 2.06 rather than try and backport all the fixes to older releases
and hope/pray that they applied sensibly. Grub is very much a moving
target and a *huge* codebase with a lot of patches, for historical
reasons.

I didn't pick up on the packaging bug here, and unfortunately it made
it into the bullseye stable release. I tested my grub build on a
number of platforms and architectures, but that didn't include Xen. We
*really* have a dearth of Xen experience among the maintainers, and
that's not helping here.

I'm building a new unstable package (2.06-4) right now with Valentin's
patch applied, and once I've uploaded that I'll do a new bullseye
package too.

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews