Re: Mailutils+nullmailer: sender full name

Op 19-10-2023 om 15:00 schreef Greg Wooledge:
Traditional Unix terminal- or command-line-based MUAs inject new messages
into the outgoing mail queue by piping them to /usr/sbin/sendmail.

That means, as I believe Stefan pointed out, that they leave authorization to this single program, for all users of the system. For me personally that doesn't matter. But I wonder if this would nowadays be considered unsafe.

I have, for now, configured nullmailer with my username and password at my provider (over TLS, of course). My provider's MTA (a receiving MTA then) therefore accepts mail from my VPS.

As an alternative, I can use the mailing system of my VPS supplier. This requires me to add stuff to the DNS of my domain, stating that mailer can send mail on behalf of my domain. I believe nullmailer could then use that server without (other) authorization.

I suppose that latter is more secure, as it doesn't require a configured password. But setting this up is considerably more difficult.

Things get ridiculously complex in the real world.

Yes. Wasn't IT supposed to make life simpler? ;)

Kind regards,
Gertjan.