Re: Help ! No syslog anymore

Michael,
You are a star.
I dont know what I did before but I re-installed rsyslog and changed the PrivateTmp to no
It works now.
I can see /tmp/server.log is now pushing syslog contents
Thank you very much.

On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 10:24 AM Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
Am 13.11.23 um 10:13 schrieb Bhasker C V:
> I forgot to answer the question on why I am doing this
> I am experimenting on a no-log system where there is no writes
> what-so-ever to /var/log (except for mails) or systemd journal
> (currently kept volatile)
> /tmp/ is tmpfs mounted
> Attached is the rsyslog config as-it-is being used now.

With the attached rsyslog.conf, disabling PrivateTmp makes rsyslog log
to /run/server.log correctly (verified locally).

I can only assume you didn't follow my instructions properly.

Please make sure after following my instruction that you have afterwards
# systemctl show -P PrivateTmp rsyslog.service
no

Btw, for your use case, a subdirectory in /run would be more suitable,
like say /run/syslog/.

Also, you currently have
*.*                             -/tmp/server.log
*and*
*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
        auth,authpriv.none;\
        cron,daemon.none;\
        mail,audit,news.none            -/tmp/server.log

This doesn't make any sense.
This will basically duplicate the log messages in /tmp/server.log and
interleave them.

Either you split up the logs facilities and log them to separate files
or you only keep a single log rule like

*.*                             -/tmp/server.log

which simply logs everything to /tmp/server.log