Re: printing problem, markdown files

On 2/1/24 15:31, Dan Ritter wrote:
gene heskett wrote:
On 2/1/24 12:24, Dan Ritter wrote:
gene heskett wrote:
pandoc -f markdown FILEIN.md -t pdf -o FILEOUT.pdf

will turn markdown into PDF, which you can probably print, if by
no other means than FTP to the printer itself. (Try it, Brothers
come with this by default.)

Thanks DSR.

Scanning thru the docs I don't see anything that looks like what the print
job shops of the last century called a "binding ditch".  That is where the
output file has say a 15mm blank space inserted on the left edge of odd
numbered pages, while that same 15mm of blank space is inserted to the right
of the text on even pages, leave a blank area to perfect bind the duplex
pages w/o burying the text into the center crack of the opened pages. Have
they adopted a new name for this?

Printers (the people) still call it that.

You will also want to install latex ( apt install texlive-extra-utils
will get you what you need)

pandoc options:

-V geometry:margin=1in

(all four sides)

-V geometry:left=3cm,right=3cm,top=2cm,bottom=2cm

(separate values for each side)

and finally, what you probably want:

-V geometry:twoside,left=15mm,right=30mm,top=2cm,bottom=3cm

I just tested that and it did a pretty nice job. My actual
command:

pandoc -f markdown -t pdf -V geometry:twoside,left=15mm,right=30mm,top=2cm,bottom=3cm test.md -o foo.pdf

-dsr-
Downright tasty stuff, thank you dsr.
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.