Re: Package conflicts outside of Extra

On 14 Jun 2000, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> It is quite common for packages not in Extra to have conflicts.
>
> People seem to register Conflicts: between optional packages or
> between optional and standard packages, and so forth, all of which is
> contrary to the Debian Policy Manual.
>
> The Policy Manual is correct here, and I propose that it be an
> explicit release goal for woody to fix these problems.  In most cases
> it is simply a matter of moving one of the relevant packages into
> Extra.
> [...]

I mostly agree, but unfortunately, this is "just a ftp.debian.org bug"
and the list of ftp.debian.org bugs is too long.

I would propose a general resolution saying: "woody will not be
released until ftp.debian.org has exactly 0 bugs", or, to be
realistic: "at freeze time there should not be more than twenty woody
ftp.debian.org bugs older than one week, and at woody release time, there
should not be more than five ftp.debian.org bugs older than one week".