Re: Package conflicts outside of Extra

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 12:12:35PM +0200 , Santiago Vila wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2000, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>
> > It is quite common for packages not in Extra to have conflicts.

but it may be conflicts with
1) older versions of a package (in case of replaced functionality)
2) renamed package
3) any other reason I forgot

> > People seem to register Conflicts: between optional packages or
> > between optional and standard packages, and so forth, all of which is
> > contrary to the Debian Policy Manual.
> >
> > The Policy Manual is correct here, and I propose that it be an
> > explicit release goal for woody to fix these problems.  In most cases
> > it is simply a matter of moving one of the relevant packages into
> > Extra.
> > [...]
>
> I mostly agree, but unfortunately, this is "just a ftp.debian.org bug"
> and the list of ftp.debian.org bugs is too long.

yes.

> I would propose a general resolution saying: "woody will not be
> released until ftp.debian.org has exactly 0 bugs", or, to be
> realistic: "at freeze time there should not be more than twenty woody
> ftp.debian.org bugs older than one week, and at woody release time, there
> should not be more than five ftp.debian.org bugs older than one week".

regarding the woody distribution I persume. There are bugs like "dinstall
should check depends" and such, which are a bit diffeent.

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz