Re: installation scripts?

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 03:57:15PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Leon Breedt wrote:
> > I was thinking of something for the initial Debian install...not package
> > configuration scripts.  Something similar to InstallShield 4 Windows's
> > installation scripts.  I.e. a semi-language geared specifically to installation
> > related things, which dinstall would parse.
> >
> > In this case I mean dinstall to be the initial installer an end user sees
> > when he boots off a Debian CD.
>
> That is what dconfig is.  And, with the name out of the bag, I will say that
> it is based on the kernel config system.  My goal is to not have to babysit
> and install/upgrade run.  Please see http://dconfig.doogie.org/ for an
> outdated version.

I guess he's talking about the steps before the user run dselect (you
know: partition disk, format partitions, install kernel and modules...
that stuff). That's "dbootstrap" country. ;-)

In fact, one of our goals ("us" beign the boot-floppies team) is having
some config file/s that automatize some steps in the installation.

In our current disks, the user may add a "bootkbd=qwerty/de" option to
syslinux.cfg APPEND (or kernel boot prompt) and dbootstrap will use that
keymap, and skip the "Configure the Keyboard" step. Extending that to
cover all the installation steps from the "Color or Monochrome" screen to
the "reboot the system" step would be a huge improvement towards an
unattended Debian installation.

If you want to work on that task, please subscribe to
debian-boot@lists.debian.org . That's where boot-floppies related
discussion takes place.

	Thanks,
--