Re: Volume on -devel

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> There are several fundamental problems with that idea:
>
>  1. PGP or even encryption is not legal everywhere.
>  2. I'm already annoyed enough to have to download PGP signatures from
>     people that say nothing more than "ditto".  Why PGP-sign
>     EVERYTHING?!!
>  3. The idea of requiring developers to use non-free software to
>     express their opinions is an outright assault on what we stand
>     for.

With GPG, as Branden later suggested, these problems are reduced further.

1. Digital signing for authentication is already required for .changes files,
so a developer can't really be too active if they live in such a regime as
bans digital authentication. (I can't think of one, at present)

2. The native GPG signatures are substantially shorter than PGP signatures.

3. GPG is free software.

	Martin.