Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On 20-Mar-99, 12:39 (CST), Jonathan P Tomer <phouchg@cif.rochester.edu> wrote:
> 3. any data files that are useful -only- for a program in the sw
> distribution (or which has an installer in the distribution, for certain
> nonfree things) is allowed.

What about huge sets of data files that are only useful with a program
in the distribution. Consider the Tiger map data that Bruce donated.
Suppose some writes a program to display maps based on that data, and
puts it in Debian. Does the data get put in the distribution, or etexts?
(Side note: data like this is why "etexts" is not the best name for
this section) You could argue that the data isn't useful *only* for
the program in the distribution, but the reality is that the without
a decent viewer or other processor, it really isn't useful. I suspect
there are other similar situations where the number of programs that
that can use the data approaches one.

Yep, it's a tough problem.

The installed location probably depends on the contents of the package.

Steve