Re: squid, openldap, and local4 in syslog

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Russell Coker wrote:

> The latest squid package in potato writes it's logging data to local4 although
> I haven't seen any mention of this in the documentation.
> The latest openldap package in potato is documented as logging data to local4
> but does not appear to do so.
>
> I think that ideally we would have local? logging entries in syslog setup for
> different categories.  So if squid and apache share a log level while openldap
> and postgresql share another then it might be a reasonable use of logs.  But I
> don't think that squid and openldap belong together.
> Also ideally documentation should reflect what the programs do...
>
> I have not reported this in the BTS as I think that we should determine what is
> the right thing to do in this regard before bugs are reported (although I guess
> I could report bugs about the documentation).

I have the same issue with WN, an http server.  Currently, it uses
daemon to log its messages through syslog.  I would like to select one
of local? facilities to better isolate the HTTP server.  Some guidance
from the Debian policy on the selection of facilities would be helpful
in preventing problems.

--
Jean Pierre