Debian package categories half way summary

OK, these are the conclusions that seem to have been reached so far:

* A new section, debian-data will be needed (could someone please summarise
what conclusions have been reached regarding debian-data?).

* Packages fall into one of four categories:

1) Programs
2) Data without associated programs (anarchist faq etc)
3) Data with associated programs (fortune, bible etc)
4) Data without associated progams but with relevance to debian/linux
   (HOWTOs etc)

It seems there is agreement that packages in categories 1 and 4 go into the
main distro, whilst category 2 packages go into debian-data. The sticking
point now is category 3. It has boiled down to whether packages in that
category (data and binary 'readers' ie fortune-mod) should go into the main
distro or into debian-data.

Now to my reasons why fortune et al should not be banished to debian-data:

* The number of packages is small, and doesn't look like it's going to grow
  at any significant rate (unlike anarchist faq et al which potentially could
  grow a lot). The entire reason for this discussion was because of fears
  concering the size of debian growing out of all proportion.

* The objective must surely be to provide the maximum amount of usefullness
  from the main distro: banishing a longstanding favourite such as fortune
  would not be doing anyone any favours.

* As always common sense should be used: of course the map data, even if it
  has a seperate reader shouldn't go into the main distro. I hope that
  anyone with a package which might cause problems would have the common
  sense to follow the motto "If in doubt ask".

* I for one would not be happy if I had to buy an entire CD just to get
  fortune, dict etc.

* Because the packages contain binaries they have to subject to the normal
  bug-tracking and release procedures: ATM there is the possibility of
  debian-data not following these procedures.

I could probably come up with more reasons, but I notice my keyboard is
wearing out from all this de-lurk posting :)

My suggestion is that we create a new sub-section within the main distro to
put category 2 packages in, but the moment it causes the main distro to
spill over onto an extra CD it is moved into a seperate section on the same
level as main, non-US et al.

Cheers
	Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.0 on Linux i386 2.2.3
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request