Re: Time to make a stand. (Was: Re: IBM 390)

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, James A. Treacy wrote:

> I can't believe you are asking someone to pass on propietary information.

I wouldn't ask if it wasn't something I was willing to do myself. If
anyone wants to write a decent VOIP accounting package for Linux; doesn't
even need to be X11R6-based, then let me know, and I will HAPPILY give you
the Radius information you'll need to get the CDRs from Cisco AS-series
VOIP equipment, as well as Ascent TNT-series VOIP equipment.

And yes, that would definitely be considered proprietary information.

> Sure IBM is playing games - trying to jump on the free software bandwagon
> to help their bottom line. That doesn't mean people should break the law
> and risk their job.
> If free software can't win on its merits than it should die. Don't sink
> to the level that businesses play at.

If I had another choice, I would. But the way I see it, we are NOT
stooping to the level of IBM. IBM, should they get their way, will leave
you with one choice on the AS/400. One choice on the S/390. One choice on
the AS/300. One choice on the RS/6000. They gave on the x86 machines
because Windows doesn't make them money. They won't give on S/390s,
AS/400's, or AS/300's so easily, if at all.

So I do what I must. It's already proven that free software can win on
it's merits; look at Apache. Personally, I don't care if it succeeds
commercially. And the way I see it, this one issue isn't about free
software; it's about giving people a choice. Hell, I'd support a
commercial alternative to OS/390. Simply because it's a choice.

| Phillip R. Jaenke       | "Not all wisdom comes from without;  |
| Head of Unix Systems    |  much wisdom can only come from      |
| Unicent Telecom         |  within. Only you can teach yourself |
| prj@nls.net (RISCy@IRC) |  some of the most important  lessons |
+-------------------------+  of life." --Takes-Many-Roads,       |
Project Head              |              Silent Strider Theurge  |
-PESTER ME!- PJaenke@unicent.com / 800.319.9250 x4268 -PESTER ME!-