Re: Debian package categories half way summary

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 08:42 +0000, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 03:08:53PM +0000, Dave Swegen wrote:
> > OK, these are the conclusions that seem to have been reached so far:
> >
> > * A new section, debian-data will be needed (could someone please summarise
> > what conclusions have been reached regarding debian-data?).
> >
> > * Packages fall into one of four categories:
> >
> > 1) Programs
> > 2) Data without associated programs (anarchist faq etc)
> > 3) Data with associated programs (fortune, bible etc)
> > 4) Data without associated progams but with relevance to debian/linux
> >    (HOWTOs etc)
> >
> > It seems there is agreement that packages in categories 1 and 4 go into the
> > main distro, whilst category 2 packages go into debian-data. The sticking
> > point now is category 3. It has boiled down to whether packages in that
> > category (data and binary 'readers' ie fortune-mod) should go into the main
> > distro or into debian-data.
> >
> > Now to my reasons why fortune et al should not be banished to debian-data:
> >
> > * The number of packages is small, and doesn't look like it's going to grow
> >   at any significant rate (unlike anarchist faq et al which potentially could
> >   grow a lot). The entire reason for this discussion was because of fears
> >   concering the size of debian growing out of all proportion.
>
> "doesn't look like it's going to grow" is a gross understatement, as you
> cite the map data yourself just a few lines below. Let's plan for the
> (near) future, please.

To the best of my knoweledge the map data isn't going to have any specific
reader attached to it. I probably expressed myself badly: I don't believe
the size of packages in category 3 is going to grow at any significant
rate (at least I haven't seen any evidence of it yet).

> > * The objective must surely be to provide the maximum amount of usefullness
> >   from the main distro: banishing a longstanding favourite such as fortune
> >   would not be doing anyone any favours.
>
> That's just one package. Instead of putting every "category 3" package
> into main just to save "fortune", let's put all of them into debian-data
> and accept "fortune" into main for "historical reasons".

As I said, I don't think the number of category 3 packages is going to
increase enough to warrant taking them out of the main distro.

[stuff snipped]

> Instead of going half the way and waiting for trouble to happen, I
> suggest we create a separate section now, and put there category 2 and 3
> packages.

Well, whatever's easiest.

As it looks like we're going to argue round and round in circles I would
really like to see a few more opinions (why do I get this feeling we're the
only two who are even bothered about this? Perhaps too much time on our
hands ;)

Cheers
	Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.0 on Linux i386 2.2.3
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request