Re: KDE not in Debian?

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 06:53:39PM -0800, David Johnson wrote:
> IANAL, but I near as I can figure, Qt is normally distributed with my
> OS. To quote: "...the source code distributed need not include anything
> that is normally distributed ... with the major components ... of the
> operating system on which the executable runs...". In the case of
> Caldera and Corel, Qt is part of their installation, definitely a major
> component. On my box, KDE itself is a major component, and even the
> default wm/desktop of the distro.

Yes, cut out the important parts.  Let me emphasise the parts you so very
conveniently left out:

                                                    ...  However, as a
special exception, the source code distributed need not include
anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
operating system on which the executable runs, UNLESS THAT COMPONENT
ITSELF ACCOMPANIES THE EXECUTABLE.

ie, the "major components" argument is moot because Caldera and Corel
distribute Qt _AND_ KDE.  The second they distribute them both together (I
would argue in the same box, the same distribution directory of an ftp
site, etc) they are distributing them together.

(although I have heard thousands of moronic arguments such as if they are
in seperate tarballs or on different CDs it's suddenly okay again..  As I
said, these arguments of loopholes (which I do not believe exist in the
letter and know CERTAINLY do not exist in the spirit of the GPL) are
moronic and hold no weight.  I will not even entertain such arguments.)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

<Knghtbrd> JHM: I'm not putting quake in the kernel source
<Knghtbrd> but we should put quake in the boot floppies to one-up
           Caldera's tetris game..  ;>