Re: Bulgarian additions to Debian

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 10:09:22PM +0200, Pavel Cholakov wrote:
> Agreed. I have already contacted maintaners responsible for locales and
> Xkb's - about a week ago. No response yet. Currently I've packaged:

I believe I replied; if I didn't I'm sorry.  Yes, I'd like to integrate
better support for Bulgarian locales into XFree86, but at this point it
looks like a project for woody, not potato.

> console-bg - console keymaps and fonts (cp1251)
> locale-bg  - locale bg_BG.cp1251
> xfree86-bg-keyboard  - cp1251 Xkb keyboard
> xfonts-cp1251-100dpi
> xfonts-cp1251-75dpi
> xfonts-cp1251-misc
>
> of which the first three could be merged into existing Debian packages:
> console-data, locales and xlib6g respectively.

Yes, I don't imagine there would be a problem adding keyboard definitions
to the xlib6g package; I've done it before.

> On the other hand the fonts
> are doubling some of the contents of xfont-cyrillic (Cronyx Helvetica and Times,
> cp-1251, I think). Is that merger possible before the release of potato?

Do you mean that some BDF fonts are literally duplicated, or simply that
there are fonts that have the same basic function?

If the former, then I think it should be fine to have the packages you've
described; just drop the fonts that already exist in xfonts-cyrillic.  A
task-language-bulgarian package could depend on both.

If the latter, then as long as the fonts don't have the same XLFD font
name, there is no real collision and they can both be installed.  Users of
Western languages have all kinds of redundant fonts installed.  :)

If there is some collision between XLFD or alias names when it comes to the
fonts you want to package and the fonts in xfonts-cyrillic, then you and I
(since I package xfonts-cyrillic) need to work something out.  Perhaps we
can discuss it on the debian-x mailing list?

--
G. Branden Robinson            |       One man's "magic" is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux               |       engineering.  "Supernatural" is a