Re: Standard Debian system...

On Sat, Oct 18, 1997 at 03:48:51PM +1300, Carey Evans wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > 2) To view a picture, or look at a dvi file (or even .ps), it would be
> > overkill to log in xdm and start an X application (takes much more time).
> > (packages zgv, tmview)
>
> That's true if you don't start xdm automatically.  My monitor takes
> time to sync to a new refresh rate, so zgv is slower for me.

Mmmh. It depends if you are working in X or not. I do not login with xdm at
boot time, but switch to consoel and work from there (because the 100x37
textmode with 65 MHz is better for my eyys :), and then switching to X and
logging in (or swapping X in memory, 16MB *sigh*) takes longer than typing
zgv and waiting for the monitor to switch. Although I find it annyoing that
zgv makes my monitor click everytime I change to another picture!

> > 3) A few good games (maelstrom, gravitywars, quake) work only in SVGA or
> > work better in SVGA because they have a too tiny window in X (if you set
> > resolution to 1024x768, 320x200 is *very* small - unplayable).
>
> % maelstrom &
> % xwininfo -name Maelstrom
>
> xwininfo: Window id: 0x2000001 "Maelstrom"
> [...]
>   Width: 640
>   Height: 480

Ok, you got me :)

> > 4) I don't know about dosemu - does it use SVGAlib for graphic modes?
>
> I think it can talk to the video card (and VGA BIOS) directly.  I
> haven't really looked at its VGA capabilities.

You are right. And it has VGA capabilities under X now,
but the vga support under X is not stable yet.

> > 5) For small or slow computers svgalib is the only possibility to do
> > graphics.
>
> That's true.

This is my point: If you frequently work under X, than it is no problem to
do all in X. But if you work mostly on console, you can use the small svga
tools, that use less resources.

As ever, YMMV.

Thank you for correcting me,
Marcus