Re: /etc/environment

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 08:45:15PM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 09:17:17PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > Just because one package replaces another doesn't mean they are
> > configured the same. We are talking about adding a whole new layer to
> > the authentication and login process, which is bound to create some
> > different approaches to setup. I gave you the answer you were looking
>
> No one questioned this.

You expected pam-apps to be configured using the same configuration
files as shadow apps.

> > for and explained where to look in order to configure it the way you
> > need it. I failed to see that you were expecting some one to do it for
> > you instead of taking 15 minutes to look over a small section of the
> > PAM docs.
>
> Not exactly. Some years ago (quite some time before you joined us I suppose)
> there was talk to add /etc/environment to policy. Apparently I just noticed
> this still hasn't made it in so I was expecting to much I guess.
>
> It would be impossible to take into account every little detail of
> > shadow's setup and configure pam-apps on the fly to emulate what it
> > does.
>
> Once again this is NOT a little detail, that is in my opinion, because it
> should already have made it into policy.

The pam_env module does not use the same configuration file because
it's syntax is different. I may modify pam_env to take an argument to
do this, but at the moment it does not, so it is not possible for me to
just change the file it looks at.

> > Please take the few moments required to look this over, or maybe go
> > back to the normal shadow utils.
>
> Hmm, seems I offended you somehow. Sorry for that.
>
> I'm just used to a different way of handling questions. IMO the answer "read
> the docs" is not a good answer. Hopefully you don't think this mail is
> offensive. It's not meant that way.

Well I gave you the exact module to look at and the files to read and
edit, any more than that and you might as well just give me an account
on your system and have me set it up for you. I gave you more than just
"read the docs". I don't know the exact confiuration you need and
copying the contents of the file in email would have been a waste since
it is already on your system and I don't think it's too much to expect
you to read them so you understand how to set it up.

Ben