Re: ITP: xslj, a XSL processor (XSL is one of the stylesheet format of XML)

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 12:24:04PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> I thought flow objects had been abandoned, and XSL was now exclusively
> an XML translation language?

Nope. XSL now has a separately named subset called XSLT which is only
concerned with transforming trees. XSL itself still specifies flow
objects.

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 01:54:11PM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Do we have an authoritative XML guru on Debian? I'm not and I begin to be a
> bit fedup with stylesheets in XML. We have now three proposals, one based on
> flow objects (DSSSL), one which is not (CSS) and one which hesitates (XSL).

Adam would qualify as the resident guru, and I'm also keeping myself informed.

Here's my view on the stylesheets for XML situation:

Viewing XML directly inside browsers is limited to IE 4 and 5 and
Mozilla. Only IE5 does XSL (but not flow objects), the rest can use CSS.

Transforming XML into HTML can be done by a large number of tools,
including several implementations of XSLT.

Getting printed output from XML can be done using DSSSL or with XSL and
FOP. There's also exotic solutions like IBM's TeXML.

The only widely accepted XML formatting standard is to use XSLT to
generate HTML. Both print and native browser rendering is currently in
turmoil.

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed