Re: Forge packages recompiled against Octave 5 no longer depend on liboctave7

* Rafael Laboissière <rafael@debian.org> [2019-10-27 21:43]:

* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2019-10-27 20:28]:

> Symmetrically, the octave package would automatically generate the > "Provides: octave-abi-NN" based on the "api-vNN" that it supports.

I think that, for doing this automatically, we should generate debian/control from a source file, say debian/control.in, through string replacement, shouldn't we?

Do you know any method for adding this Provides information dynamically and programatically?

Never mind, this is simple to accomplish with substitution variables and override_dh_gencontrol. Raphael Hertzog has a nice tutorial on the subject: https://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/09/27/different-dependencies-between-debian-and-ubuntu-but-common-source-package/

I will implement the changes in both dh-octave and octave packages and commit them, if nobody objects.

Rafael