Re: /usr/X11R6

On Sun 30 Aug 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Not until you show me an upgrade path to R7 and X12. The
>  current method allows for co-existance of several releases of X
>  (barring our own bad /etc/X11 directory). Until an upgrade path, with
>  an eye to the future, is available, we should change nothing.

old:
/usr/X11R6, /usr/X11R7, /usr/X12R0, symlinks /usr/X11 /usr/X12
(btw, there is no /usr/X11 and /usr/X386 symlink on my system !).

new:
/usr (X11R6 currently), /usr/X11R7, /usr/X12R0
this is possible. it works.

this would be very much like:
/usr (i486-linuxglibc), /usr/i486-linuxlibc1/
which also works.

but i think debian will find ways to handle R6 -> R7 -> X12 transitions (if
these should ever happen) in one common /usr, ther same way /usr-libc5 and
/usr-libc6 was not necessary.

> 	I remember the problems I ran into transitioning out of X10.
sorry, i only know X11R5 -> X11R6, a.out -> elf, * -> fsstnd, elf -> libc6,
but none of them made me suggest /usr-fsstnd-libc6 or some style of that
directory.

i prefer to face a X11R7 should it every be released, than massive hacks in
gnome, kde, tk and many other applications.

IMO /usr/X11R6 tree is rather a workaround the problem, than a fix.
i prefer to get rid of it, and fix it when the problem shows up.

to be true: i don't expect X11R7 to be released, but rather some
other window system show up, and alternative libraries for gnome, so it will
run on it. at the linux kongress, bruce told that someone was already building
an alternative window system, and had (parts of ?) gtk or gnome ported to it,
so all gtk applications could (run|be compiled) to work with it.

andreas