Re: kernel or syskold not supporting flavours

Martin Schulze writes:
 > On Sun, Mar 08, 1998 at 11:08:42AM +0100, Yann Dirson wrote:
 >
 > > [for a kernel with $(uname -r)=="2.0.33-std"]
 >
 > What's this?  I never saw it before.  I'm sure this breaks klogd.

It comes from a patch by Manoj. You'll find it and its description in
/usr/doc/kernel-package/Flavours.gz (Package: kernel-package)

It appears that the kernel always uses as a version string the one
built in the top Makefile, so it seems so far to be perfectly safe to
all (post 2.0 at least) kernels.

This is the string returned by $(uname -r).  I don't know how klogd
gets its version string, but it should probably do this like uname
does, for system consistency.

Note: I suggested to Manoj to submit this patch to Linus, I'm not sure
if he finally did.

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: