Re: Volume on -devel

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 01:30:47PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
[...]
> This proposal is identical to letting anyonepost and then banning people who
> are problems. Except it has all this moderation overhead.
>
> Remember when Bruce put someone-or-other (Dave Cinege?) into "digest mode"?
> He could post all he wanted, but the list only got one message a day. I
> think that's a much nicer way to accomplish the same ends w/o banning someone.

Mmm, good point.  Okay, let's do it that way.  We'll still have moderation
of a kind, since someone or some people have to be in charge of putting
annoying posters in digest mode.

Still, though, it would be nice to have some kind of motivational tool for
moving people towards digital signatures on Debian mail.  Once GPG hits
1.0, and it has been audited to my paranoid satisfaction, I'll get a lot
louder about this.  I think it's really important.  Many people complain
that their mailers don't make it convenient for them to sign messages, or
their MUA's don't grok RFC 2015 (PGP/MIME).  But those are bugs in the
mailers, not in my proposal.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |           You live and learn.
Debian GNU/Linux                 |           Or you don't live long.