F-Droid was built on Debian GNU/Linux from our beginnings in 2011. Debian powers almost all servers used in the whole process of inspecting, building, publishing, and hosting apps. F-Droid is strongly aligned with the Debian community in both goals and spirit, and many F-Droid core contributors have been inspired by Debian. A couple F-Droid core contributors are even Debian Developers.
Here are some examples of where we use Debian:
- The buildserver VM instances and CI containers.
- The buildserver host machine.
- The server that indexes all the files and pushes releases to the web.
- The webserver for f-droid.org
- The front-end caching webservers.
- Development and CI servers.
- Our forum server.
- Our Matrix server.
- Our verification rebuilders.
- Contributors' personal computers.