Re: Rules of discourse for the mailing lists

Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: ioannis@flinet.com
> > the expense of the dignity of others must be restrained. We do not
> imply
> > that such have occurred in the past, simply, we like to prevent the
> > unpleasant."
>
> You missed a "not" in the last sentence.

Acutally, the last sentence is two.  Correctly written it would be,

"We do not imply that such have occurred in the past.  Simply, we like
to prevent the unpleasant."

> Rationale is important. I'd suggest you add the reason for rules of
> discourse. It's because it's important to keep the group of volunteers

Reasoning is good. :)  However, in the novel _Friday_ there is a line
that says if a society has to legislate courtesy or politeness, its due
for a reset.

> And while we're at it, people on the lists are _busy_. Let's say
> something
> about brevity and clarity of dialogue being desirable if we are not to
> be mired in our own communications.

Suggestion:
This is from a poster here at BellSouth.  At the bottom it says, "From
_Managing_the_Social_&_Emotional_Needs_of_the_Gifted_, Free Spirit
Publishing, Copyright (C) 1985 ..."
1)  There are no dumb questions and no dumb answers.
2)  None of us is perfect.
3)  This is the place to bomb out and take risks.
4)  It's ok to say, "I don't know."
5)  You have the right not to participate in a discussion.
6)  Keep asking until you really understand.
7)  If you don't agree, say so, and explain your thoughts.
8)  Teasing, put-downs and sarcasm are not allowed.
9)  Don't critisize people -- agree or disagree with their ideas.
10) It's good to have a mind of your own.

Enjoy -- Greg.
--
What do you want to spend today?
Debian GNU/Linux  (Free for an UNLIMITED time)