Exim (was: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before freezing Hamm)

On Thu 12 Mar 1998, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Thu 12 Mar 1998, Mark Baker wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 12, 1998 at 11:01:22AM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> >
> > > I myself have tried out exim recently after being a smail user for a
> > > long time (9 years, I believe).  It's great! I.e., another vote for
> > > making it the standard debian MTA.
> >
> > Did you use eximconfig? If so, how did you get on with it? As I already have
> > a working, and moderately customised, configuration, I haven't actually run
> > it myself except to test, so I'd very much like to hear of any problems with
> > it, particularly if exim is going to be the standard in 2.0.
>
> Hmmm, I think it went OK; I had to hack the generated config file anyway
> because I needed to do some rewriting. AFAIK the "normal" stuff didn't
> need any extra hacking.

A couple of additional comments:

- The /etc/aliases file is not terminated by a newline. The same bug is
  in smail (see "#18516: /etc/aliases does not end with a newline").
  This means that when e.g. cnews appends its lines, the mailer-daemon
  alias gets mangled:
  mailer-daemon: postmaster#-- cnews begin

- If /etc/aliases doesn't exist, exim refuses to deliver any mail. After
  the upgrade from smail, I got error messages from cron about not being
  able to find runq. I then purged smail (hoping that
  /var/spool/cron/crontabs/mail was a conffile), and that removed
  /etc/aliases... I then didn't get _any_ mail at all:

    1998-03-12 16:15:01 0yD9hF-0008S9-00 <= root@wau.mis.ah.nl U=root P=local S=741
    1998-03-12 16:15:01 0yD9hF-0008S9-00 system_aliases director: failed to open /etc/aliases for linear search: No such file or directory
    1998-03-12 16:15:02 0yD9hF-0008S9-00 == news@wau.mis.ah.nl D=system_aliases defer (-18): failed to open /etc/aliases for linear search: No such file or directory
    1998-03-12 16:19:17 0yD9lN-0008T4-00 <= paul@wau.mis.ah.nl U=paul P=local S=1315 id=19980312161917.03281@hamm
    1998-03-12 16:19:18 0yD9lN-0008T4-00 == paul@waubel.wau.mis.ah.nl R=smarthost defer (-1):

  Especially the last one, which was outbound to another system, should
  simply have been delivered; that shouldn't depend on a local
  /etc/aliases, right? I'd suggest that the absence of an alias file
  shouldn't prevent the delivery of mail, unless of course the address
  can't be resolved without a relevant line in aliases.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands