Debian Project News - August 14th, 2017
Welcome to this year's second issue of DPN, the newsletter for the Debian community. Topics covered in this issue include:
- Welcome to the Debian Project News!
- Internal News/Happenings
- Events: Upcoming and Reports
- Help needed
- More than just code
- Outside News
- Quick Links from Debian Social Media
- Want to continue reading DPN?
We hope that you are enjoying this format of the DPN.
This issue is brought to you from DebConf17 in Montreal by the now extended group of Debian Project News editors. So we expect DPN will see more frequent releases in the future.
At the end of this Project News we've added a Quick Links section which links to a selection of the posts made through our other media streams during the last months.
In June, we welcomed
the release of Debian 9
stretch). If you haven't upgraded your systems yet,
you might like to do so soon to enjoy the improvements in the new
release. Security support for the old Debian 8 release is expected to be available
until around June 2018.
A group of CD set images have been dropped in this release, in favor of the DVD sets and netinst ISOs. With Stretch, several images for usage in different cloud providers are available too.
DebConf17 in Montreal, videos online
DebConf17, the annual Debian conference, has just been held in Montreal. We have been enjoying many interesting talks and productive discussions. Videos of many talks are already available by visiting the talks' individual pages linked from the schedule. Read the article in the Debian blog about DebConf17 for more details (including the group photo!).
Before the main conference started, some Debian teams gathered for the DebCamp week of work sessions and discussions. The Debian Perl Group held a Rolling Sprint at DebCamp, and the teams for OpenStack, pkg-emacsen and Debian Policy also held meetings and sprints. DebCamp17 may have been the biggest DebCamp ever, with 117 attendees.
Chinese translation of the Debian website
The Chinese language team has been relaunched with new contributors, and the Debian Installer, many pages in the Debian website, and other documents are being updated and translated into Chinese. If you want to join this effort, ask in the Chinese language team mailing list for details.
New and noteworthy packages
1042 packages were added to the unstable Debian archive in this quarter. Among many others there are:
- 4pane — four-pane detailed-list file manager
- belenios-tool — verifiable voting system (command-line tool)
- butteraugli — measuring perceived differences between images
- catimg — fast image printing in to your terminal
- checkit-tiff — conformance checker for baseline TIFFs
- dnsdiag — DNS request auditing toolset
- gajim-antispam — Gajim plugin to block some incoming messages
- git-crecord — interactively select chunks to commit with Git
- gitsome — Supercharged Git/Shell Autocompleter with GitHub Integration
- gnome-shell-extension-show-ip — Shows the current private or public IP address
- heaptrack-gui — Heap memory profiler for Linux
- kanboard-cli — kanboard command line client
- kup-backup — backup tool for KDE's Plasma desktop
- lockdown — make it harder for attackers to compromise your system
- minetest-mod-craftguide — Minetest mod providing a crafting guide
- python-imexam — Simple interactive astronomical image examination and plotting (Python 2)
- quicktun — very simple, yet secure VPN software
- rmlint — Extremely fast tool to remove filesystem lint
- vis — Modern, legacy free, simple yet efficient vim-like editor
- xwallpaper — utility for setting image files as X wallpaper
Debian Day 2017
Debian Day is almost here!
Debian is turning 24 this year and several local groups have already added to the schedule their own events to celebrate, on or around Wednesday August 16.
Add your own event to the Debian Day 2017 wiki page and join our groups in Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Italy, Sweden and Venezuela on this special occasion.
Alioth replacement sprint
Debian's development platform
alioth is due for a major
restructuring since the underlying software will no longer be supported in the future. A
sprint to replace
alioth will take place in Hamburg, Germany, from 18 to 20 August 2017.
The Debian Groupware team recently sent a report about their meeting held in April 2017. The Debian Policy team also reported about their work in the last months. You can also read the recently sent Status update from the Reproducible Builds project.
Some Debian contributors have written about their attendance to DebCamp and DebConf17: Michal Čihař about Weblate and Mike Gabriel about Ayatana indicators, Debian Edu, and a global summary of his work at DebConf, about Flatpak. (More reports will probably be published in the following weeks in the Debian Planet.)
Once upon a time in Debian:
- 1993-08-16 Debian founded
- 1996-08-21 debian-manuals (0.2.0.0), draft release
- 2000-08-15 Debian 2.2,
- 2007-08-05 Debian Maintainers approved by vote
- 2008-08-10 Opening Debconf 8, Mar del Plata, Argentina
Teams needing help
- The Publicity team welcomes the new contributors to continue making possible new DPN issues, as well as encouraging content submissions for the Debian blog and micronews.debian.org. Watch our talk at DebConf17 about the team channels for more details.
- Misc Developer News #44 has been published, including information and calls for help about Debian derivatives in the website, and the Debian Live Team.
- The Welcome team is growing; come by #debian-welcome or get in touch with MagicFab if you're interested in helping new users and contributors.
- Creating a more welcoming and respectful environment in Debian is a collective effort. We encourage any Debian contributor to assume an active role fostering diversity in Debian!
Packages needing help:
Debian has a
newcomer bug tag, used to indicate bugs which are suitable for new
contributors to use as an entry point to working on specific packages.
There are 204
bugs available tagged
1635 people and 20 teams are listed on the Debian Contributors page for 2017.
In July 2017, Debian user Rainer Dorsch asked,
what is going on here,
when he was trying to perform comparisons (less than/greater than) in the shell.
what was going on, and Tomás
elaborated on that.
Tips and Tricks
Jose M. Calhariz has published a series of blogposts about crossgrading, starting with small tasks and evolving to a real-life example: Crossgrading the kernel in Debian 9, Crossgrading a minimal install of Debian 9, Crossgrading a more typical server in Debian 9, Crossgrading a complex Desktop and Debian Developer Machine running Debian 9, and Crossgrading a complex Desktop and Debian Developer Machine running Debian 9, for real.
The Oregon State University Open Source Lab, one of the Debian partners providing hosting and administration services to the Debian project, launched a student sponsorship crowdfunding campaign with the OSU Foundation, towards funding students working at the lab along with sending them to open source conferences in the coming year. The campaign will be active during August 2017.
LTS Freexian Monthly Reports
Freexian issues monthly reports about the work of paid contributors to Debian Long Term Support.
Reproducible Builds status update
Follow the reproducible
builds blog to get the weekly reports on their work in the
This is an extract from the micronews.debian.org feed, in which we have removed the topics already commented on in this DPN issue. You can skip this section if you already follow micronews.debian.org or the @debian profile in a social network (Pump.io, GNU Social, Mastodon or Twitter). The items are given unformatted, and in descending order by date (recent news at the top).
We have removed from this list the Debian 9 release and the DebConf17 microblogging release coverages. If you are interested on those, you can browse them in the micronews.debian.org site.
- "Debian: a Commons of Innovation" by Sam Hartman http://hartmans.livejournal.com/96841.html
- DebConf17 closes in Montreal and DebConf18 dates announced https://bits.debian.org/2017/08/debconf17-closes.html
- Want to read more micronews about debian? contribute! find instructions on http://deb.li/3pSEv
- fdisk becoming non-essential, dependencies needed. https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/08/msg00005.html
- OpenSSL disables TLS 1.0 and 1.1 (in unstable) https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/08/msg00004.html
- Google Platinum Sponsor of DebConf17 https://bits.debian.org/2017/08/google-platinum-debconf17.html
- DebCamp17 starts today! https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf17/DebCamp - and DebConf17 next weekend! https://debconf17.debconf.org
- Updated Debian 8: 8.9 released https://www.debian.org/News/2017/2017072202
- Updated Debian 9: 9.1 released https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170722
- Perl 5.26 transition underway in unstable! https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/07/msg00003.html
- An interview with Chris Lamb, the current Debian Project Leader. http://debianbrasil.org.br/blog/an-interview-with-chris-lamb-the-current-debian-project-leader
- New Debian Developers and Maintainers (May and June 2017) https://bits.debian.org/2017/07/new-developers-2017-06.html
- stretch-backports and jessie-backports-sloppy are now available http://blog.snow-crash.org/blog/stretch-backports-available/
- If you use the Debian Live images, consider joining the Debian Live team and help in the development https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2017/06/msg00064.html
- The Debian bug tracker has added the a11y tag for tracking accessibility issues https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#tags
- Tails 3.0, based on Debian Stretch, is out! https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tails-30-out
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise Platinum Sponsor of DebConf17 https://bits.debian.org/2017/06/hpe-platinum-debconf17.html
- Debian9 release party in Tokyo http://henrich-on-debian.blogspot.com/2017/06/debian9-release-party-in-tokyo.html
- "alioth needs your help" by Alexander Wirt http://blog.snow-crash.org/blog/alioth-needs-your-help/
- Debian GNU/Hurd 2017 released! https://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2017/06/msg00017.html
- Debian Edu / Skolelinux Stretch released — a complete Linux solution for your school https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170618
- First update for Stretch: debian-archive-keyring with the keys to sign Debian's Release files https://lists.debian.org/debian-stable-announce/2017/06/msg00000.html
- Debian 9 "stretch" has been released! https://bits.debian.org/2017/06/stretch-released.html #releasingstretch
- 5 years of Debian Diversity Statement http://www.enricozini.org/blog/2017/debian/5-years-of-debian-diversity-statement/
- "What to expect on Debian release day" by Jonathan Wiltshire http://www.jwiltshire.org.uk/content/2017/06/13/what-to-expect-on-debian-release-day/
- "Debian Developers living in South America" by Eriberto Mota http://eriberto.pro.br/blog/?p=2290
- "Upcoming Alioth sprint" by Alexander Wirt http://blog.snow-crash.org/blog/upcoming-alioth-sprint/
- "Vmdb2 first alpha release: Debian disk image creation tool" by Lars Wirzenius http://blog.liw.fi/posts/2017/06/04/vmdb2_first_alpha_release_debian_disk_image_creation_tool/
- "Jessie live on UEFI part 2" by Enrico Zini http://www.enricozini.org/blog/2017/debian/debian-jessie-live-on-uefi-part-2
- "Jessie live on UEFI systems" by Enrico Zini http://www.enricozini.org/blog/2017/debian/jessie-live-on-uefi-systems
- Debunking some Debian myths http://ral-arturo.org/2017/05/11/debian-myths.html
- Debian Policy 188.8.131.52 released https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/05/msg00005.html
- Debian CI: data retention policy https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/05/msg00004.html
- "Last minute stretch bugs" by Steinar H. Gunderson http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2017-05-26-13-55_last_minute_stretch_bugs.html
- "The #newinstretch game: dbgsym packages in Debian/stretch" by Michael Prokop https://michael-prokop.at/blog/2017/05/26/the-newinstretch-game-dbgsym-packages-in-debianstretch/
- "The #newinstretch game: new forensic packages in Debian/stretch" by Michael Prokop https://michael-prokop.at/blog/2017/05/25/the-newinstretch-game-new-forensic-packages-in-debianstretch/
- "Getting ready for Stretch" by Steve Kemp https://blog.steve.fi/getting_ready_for_stretch.html
- "Debian stretch: changes in util-linux #newinstretch" by Michael Prokop https://michael-prokop.at/blog/2017/05/19/debian-stretch-changes-in-util-linux-newinstretch/
- "Interview With Maria Glukova: Debian GNOME Outreachy Intern" by Shirish Agarwal https://itsfoss.com/interview-with-maria-glukova/
- New Debian Developers and Maintainers (March and April 2017) https://bits.debian.org/2017/05/new-developers-2017-04.html
- Debian Brasil at Cryptorave 2017 http://debianbrasil.org.br/blog/debian-brasil-at-cryptorave-2017
- "New in Debian stable Stretch: GitHub's Icon font, fonts-octicons" by Hideki Yamane http://henrich-on-debian.blogspot.com/2017/05/new-in-debian-stable-stretch-githubs.html
- "Be careful: Upgrading Debian Jessie to Stretch, with Pacemaker DRBD and an nested ext4 LVM hosted on VMware products" by Patrick Matthäi https://www.linux-dev.org/2017/05/be-careful-upgrading-debian-jessie-to-stretch-with-pacemaker-drbd-and-an-nested-ext4-lvm-hosted-on-vmware-products/
- "New in Debian stable Stretch: nftables" by Arturo Borrero González http://ral-arturo.org/2017/05/05/debian-stretch-stable-nftables.html
- "Intel's remote AMT vulnerablity" by Matthew Garrett http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/48429.html
- MiniDebConf Colombia in Pereira, May 6th 2017 https://wiki.debian.org/DebianColombia/MiniDebconf2017
- "Prometheus in Jessie(bpo) and Stretch" by Martín Ferrari https://blog.tincho.org/posts/Prometheus_in_Jessie__40__bpo__41___and_Stretch/
- Bits from the Debian CD^WImages Team https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/04/msg00014.html
- Stretch is coming soon. Time to plan a Release Party in your city! https://wiki.debian.org/ReleasePartyStretch
- Debian is shutting down soon its public FTP services https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170425
- "Debian GNU/Linux port for RISC-V 64-bit (riscv64)" by Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo "https://people.debian.org/~mafm/posts/2017/20170422_debian-gnulinux-port-for-risc-v-64-bit-riscv64/
- "Stretch images for Amazon EC2, round 2" by Noah Meyerhans https://noah.meyerhans.us/blog/2017/04/20/stretch-images-for-aws/
- Statement concerning the arrest of Dmitry Bogatov https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170417
- DPL elections 2017, congratulations Chris Lamb! https://bits.debian.org/2017/04/results-dpl-elections-2017.html
- Montreal Bug Squashing Party report by Antoine Beaupré http://anarc.at/blog/2017-04-09-montreal-bsp-report/
- OpenVPN deployment with Debian Stretch by Arturo Borrero http://ral-arturo.org/2017/04/07/openvpn-debian-stretch.html
- manpages.debian.org: what's new since the launch? by Michael Stapelberg https://people.debian.org/~stapelberg//2017/04/09/manpages-debian-org-news.html
- Unknown parallel universe uses Debian https://bits.debian.org/2017/04/unknown-parallel-universe-uses-debian.html
- MiniDebConf Curitiba 2017 - a brief report http://softwarelivre.org/debianbrasil/blog/minidebconf-curitiba-2017-a-brief-report
- DebConf17 welcomes its first eighteen sponsors! https://bits.debian.org/2017/03/dc17-welcome-its-first-sponsors.html
- No Google Summer of Code for Debian in 2017, but we continue participating in Outreachy https://wiki.debian.org/Outreachy/Round14
- Debian Project Leader Elections 2017: Call for nominations https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/03/msg00000.html
- De-Branding of Icedove, reintroducing Thunderbird packages into Debian https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/02/msg00004.html
- DebConf18 will be hosted in Hsinchu, Taiwan https://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20170215.171536.9b1203f9.en.html
- "Using FAI to customize and build your own cloud images" by Noah Meyerhans "http://noah.meyerhans.us/blog/2017/02/10/using-fai-to-customize-and-build-your-own-cloud-images/
- Debian contributors survey - preliminary analysis available https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2017/02/msg00012.html
- Call for projects and mentors for the June-August round of Debian internships https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/02/msg00003.html
- Bits from Debian Community at CPBR10 in Brasil http://softwarelivre.org/debianbrasil/blog/bits-from-debian-community-at-cpbr10
- The Debian System Administration Team needs to refresh hardware in 2017; interested partners contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details
- "SE Linux in Debian/Stretch" by Russell Coker https://etbe.coker.com.au/2017/02/06/selinux-stretch/
- Bits from the Release Team: stretch is frozen https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/02/msg00001.html
- "Interview With Debian GSoC Winners 2016" by Shirish Agarwal https://itsfoss.com/interview-debian-gsoc-winners-2016/
- Debian welcomes its outreachy interns https://bits.debian.org/2017/02/welcome-outreachy-interns-2016-2017.html
- "First Tails beta release based on Stretch" by Intrigeri https://people.debian.org/~intrigeri/blog/posts/Tails_3.0-beta1_is_out/
- Debian at FOSDEM 2017 https://bits.debian.org/2017/01/debian-at-fosdem-2017.html
Please help us create this newsletter. We still need more volunteer writers to watch the Debian community and report about what is going on. Please see the contributing page to find out how to help. We're looking forward to receiving your mail at email@example.com.
Subscribe or Unsubscribe from the Debian News mailing list
To receive this newsletter in your mailbox, subscribe to the debian-news mailing list.
Back issues of this newsletter are available.
This issue of Debian Project News was edited by The Publicity Team with contributions from Shirish Agarwal, Jean-Pierre Giraud, Justin B Rye, Joost van Baal-Ilić and Fabián Rodríguez and Moray Allan.