Debian-Installer beta 3 released
March 15th, 2004
The Debian-Installer team is proud to announce the third and final beta release of the Debian sarge installer. New features in this release include:
- new easy to use partitioner that supports automatic partitioning and LVM
- grub as the default boot loader on i386
- wireless networking support
- 2.4.25 kernel, with SATA support and security fixes
- support for the XFS filesystem
- support for these architectures: i386, ia64, sparc, m68k (mac), mips, alpha
- fully translated to 25 languages
- a boot logo (by Mark Riedesel)
- a draft installation manual
This release fixes all of the posted errata in beta 2 of the Debian-Installer, and many other bugs besides. We anticipate that most users will find it a great improvement from past betas. Please send us a report of how your installation goes, so we can strive to make it even better.
How to try out the beta:
- Download one of the CDs or other images from the d-i website.
- Read the INSTALLATION HOWTO and errata before installing.
- File an install report as a bug against the pseudo-package 'installation-reports' in the Debian bug tracking system. If your installation was successful, there will be a template for install reports in /root/install-report.template. This template is also available on the web. Please use this template when filling installation reports.
We appreciate all the testing and feedback we've received for past versions of the installer, and hope this one is the best one yet!