Debian Installer 6.0 Beta2 release
December 8th, 2010
The Debian Installer team is pleased to announce the second beta release of the installer for Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze.
This release is dedicated to Frans Pop, who worked as Debian Installer Release Manager for several years. Even after he stepped out from this responsibility in 2007, Frans continued to be heavily involved in several aspects of D-I until he passed away.
Frans played a key role in ensuring that D-I was constantly maintained at the high quality level that had been set by its original developers. In particular, Frans kept the Installation Guide in very good shape throughout the period that he was involved in D-I.
Frans' name will remain associated with Debian Installer, and his loss is deeply regretted by Debian Installer developers, contributors and translators.
Improvements in this release of the installer
- Linux kernel updated to 2.6.32-27 on amd64, i386, powerpc, mipsel, hppa, sparc, s390 and ia64;
- Partition detection improved: Windows Vista, Windows Recovery Environment (#589676) and MINIX (#592924);
- Improved OS detection in grub-installer (#560027, #567980, #593460);
- ZFS support (#595152);
- Fixed hibernation with swap on LVM (#568877);
- Fixed, on os-prober, data corruption if filesystem is being used by another host (#599203, #556739);
- Fixed overwrite MBR of installation medium (#579519);
- Improved USB cd-rom devices scan (#597553);
- Updated minimal memory values for lowmem installations;
- Support added for:
- 67 languages activated (included English)
- For 50 of these, translation is 100% complete
Behavioral changes in this release
- Bump minimum root partition size in the standard task and leave room for and extra kernel package in later life of the machine (#528914);
- Expand the small gap we leave at the end of the disk to avoid MD superblock ambiguity;
- enabled accessibility in potentially-installed gdm when speakup was used during installation.