Debian Installer Jessie Beta 2 release
October 5th, 2014
The Debian Installer team is pleased to
announce the second beta release of the installer for Debian 8
Important changes in this release of the installer
- GNOME is now the default desktop environment on Linux again.
- A list of desktop environments is displayed in tasksel, making it easy to install another desktop environment (or several of them). Unfortunately that is currently a bit underdocumented (#764026).
- Preliminary support for the arm64 and ppc64el architectures has been added.
Other changes in this release of the installer
- brltty: Append the configuration inherited from d-i to the end of brltty.conf instead of overwriting it (which was thus losing the documentation for the user).
- brltty: Enable accessibility in Xfce, LXDE and MATE sessions too.
- busybox: Add support for /32 subnets in udhcpc script (#652573).
- choose-mirror: Strip off any scheme part found at the start of mirror/*/hostname (#706191).
- console-setup: Correct default keymap for South Korea (#756052).
- console-setup: Use nepali keymap for Nepali and Tharu by default.
- Fix the PXE boot images built for kfreebsd, hurd (#759686).
- Add fonts-lohit-guru-udeb to gtk images, fixing rendering for Punjabi (#761573).
- Remove desktop selection from syslinux; now available in tasksel.
- Keep Linux modules.builtin file in the initrd.
- Fix lib location and search path for syslinux >= 5 (#756275).
- fontconfig: Add conf.avail directory to the udeb, fixing broken Monospace font in graphical installer (#739011).
- hw-detect: Improve driver injection disk support.
- hw-detect: Move firmware installation code to pre-pkgsel.d
- hw-detect: Correct detection of Macs needing to blacklist snd-aoa modules (#650588).
- iso-scan: Do not error out when searching in folders with shell-special characters in their name (#640789).
- lowmem: Update lowmem limits for linux-x86.
- lowmem: Make the / ramfs fill the whole memory again (#759336).
- netcfg: Do not kill_dhcp_client after setting the hostname and domain, otherwise Linux udhcpc will stop renewing its lease, and on other platforms dhclient will de-configure the network interface (#757711, #757988).
- netcfg: Don't copy /etc/network/interfaces to /target if netcfg/target_network_config=ifupdown (#709017).
- netcfg: Fix support for entering an ESSID manually, it was previously getting ignored (#757478).
- preseed: Update auto-install/defaultroot for jessie.
- preseed: Always disable locale & keyboard question when auto is enabled, even if no preseed file was given on boot, in case the dhcp server provides it (#759290).
- rootskel: Update lowmem limit for gtk on linux-x86.
- rootskel: Use a tmpfs for some directories to avoid running out of space in the fixed-size initrd on kfreebsd-* (#757985).
- rootskel-gtk: Update gtk-set-font to learn a new mapping (Lohit Punjabi).
Hardware support changes
- libdebian-installer: arm64: Detect UEFI based systems as "efi" subarch.
- libdebian-installer: Add ppc64 and ppc64el support.
- Include preliminary support for arm64 and ppc64el.
- udeb: Add ccm, ctr to crypto-modules (#761902).
- [armhf] udeb: Add ehci-platform, ohci-platform and phy-sun4i-usb to usb-modules (#761591).
- udeb: Add rsi_usb to nic-wireless-modules
- udeb: Add ath6kl_sdio, libertas_cs, libertas_sdio, mwifiex_sdio, r8192u_usb, r8723au, rtl8188eu, rtl818x_pci, rtl8723be, rtl8821ae, spectrum_cs to nic-wireless-modules.
- [armel/orion5x] udeb: Include mvmdio in nic-modules udeb.
- udeb: Add new sound drivers to sound-modules (#756998).
- 75 languages are supported in this release.
- Full translation for 8 of them.
Known issues in this release
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
Feedback for this release
We need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.