Debian Installer Stretch Alpha 5 release
January 10th, 2016
The Debian Installer team is pleased to
announce the fifth alpha release of the installer for Debian 9
Important changes in this release
- The i386 architecture now requires 686-class processors.
Improvements in this release
- Enable accessibility for all desktops (#786674).
- Add support for showing/hiding characters typed in password field with the GTK+ and Newt frontends (#700924).
- Add Control-+/- shortcuts to adjust font size.
- Adjust proposed-updates support to handle file:// instead of http:// and ftp:// only (#803711).
- bootscr.mainline_common: Prefer newer u-boot distro_bootpart variable.
- Apply various improvements for build reproducibility.
- Bump linux kernel version from 4.2.0-1 to 4.3.0-1.
- Replace the module-init-tools build-dep with a kmod one.
- Fix new warnings with perl 5.22 (#808875).
- Fix a hang during ethdetect (#803769).
- Include /proc/device-tree/model to gather information on DT-based machines (#807625).
- Switch d-i.debian.org URIs from http to https.
Hardware support changes
- Update i386 config to use 686 kernel flavour instead of 586.
- Include leds-modules on armhf if available.
- Provide u-boot and SD-card images for the LinkSprite pcDuino.
- Add the part_gpt module into the core grub image; include support for GPT partition tables as well as msdos (#789600).
- Remove minix-modules from the orion5x network-console image (support for D-Link DNS-323 was dropped previously).
- Exclude usb-serial-modules from the armel network-console image since it's not useful there (#809301).
- Exclude usb-modules explicitly on armel/orion5x network-console to work around a bug in util/pkg-list.
- Stop including sata and ext2/ext3 modules on the armel/orion5x network-console image due to size limitations on QNAP TS-x09.
- Re-introduce installer images for QNAP TS-x09.
- Recognize /dev/disk1_1 and /dev/ls_disk1_1 as boot devices on Linkstation (#722735).
- Add initial support for sparc64.
- Add support for NVMe devices (#799117).
- armel: Add kirkwood mapping for the Iomega Iconnect dtb.
- [armhf] udeb: Add stmmac platform modules dwmac-generic, dwmac-socfpga and dwmac-sunxi to nic-modules (#805098).
- udeb: Add dm-service-time to multipath-modules (#806131).
- udeb: Add hid-chicony to input-modules (#766570).
- [armhf] udeb: Add leds-modules package containing leds-gpio driver (#807721).
- [s390x] udeb: Add crc-modules package (#808051).
- [armhf] udeb: Add more USB PHY drivers to usb-modules.
- [armhf] udeb: Add modular clock, GPIO, PCIe PHY and regulator drivers to core-modules (#809521).
- Build rockchip package, with firefly-rk3288 as the initial target (#803166).
- u-boot-sunxi: Enable the A20-Olimex-SOM-EVB target (#803335).
- Add config_distro_bootcmd support for various targets.
- Patch mx6cuboxi to specify the baudrate in the console setting.
- u-boot-sunxi: Enable the A10s-OLinuXino-M target (#806151).
- u-boot-imx: Add novena patches to include fdtfile variable, and load fdt file into correct address.
- u-boot-sunxi: Backport patches from upstream to enable the Lamobo_R1 target.
- 75 languages are supported in this release.
- Full translation for 11 of them.
Known issues in this release
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
Feedback for this release
We need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.