Debian Installer Stretch RC 1 release
January 15th, 2017
The Debian Installer team is pleased to
announce the first release candidate of the installer for Debian 9
Important changes in this release
- The switch to merged-/usr as the default setting for debootstrap was reverted since it uncovered a number of important issues which might not be all fixed in time for stretch. This setting is expected to come back as the default at the beginning of the next release cycle.
- As noted in the Stretch Alpha 6 release announcement, Debian Pure Blends appeared in the Software selection screen. Unfortunately, concerns voiced back then weren't worked on until after the freeze started, and a freeze isn't the time where critical screens should be revamped. Support was disabled accordingly.
Improvements in this release
- Tweak which images will offer to scan more discs.
- Switch to espeak-ng.
- Add support for LXQt.
- Improve detection of USB devices.
- Switch from ttf-dejavu-mono-udeb to fonts-dejavu-mono-udeb.
- Add checksum verification to fetch-url.
- Avoid issues with sound board names containing spaces.
- Fix race conditions when starting espeakup.
- Switch to espeak-ng (#833658).
- [armhf] udeb: Replace dwmac-socfpga with dwmac-altr-socfpga in nic-modules (#837110).
- Add support for both DT_RUNPATH and DT_RPATH (#845418).
- Improve /etc/network/interfaces handling: Stop writing netmask, network, and broadcast lines; just set the prefix length as part of the address (#646860).
- pkgsel, tasksel:
- Update auto-install/defaultroot for stretch (#845326).
- Add support for optional checksums.
- Fix starting screen in ssh when Debian Installer is already running inside screen on serial port (#844549).
- Switch to stretch theme: softWaves, by Juliette Belin (#793125).
- Use Noto Sans Sinhala for Sinhala locales.
- Do not ask for the relative qeth port by default.
- Update list of reserved usernames.
Hardware support changes
- Disable u-boot images for OpenRD because they've been removed (#837629).
- orion5x-qnap: Exclude packages to satisfy size constraints (HTTPS-related packages, wpasupplicant-udeb).
- EFI: Fix up FAT filesystem size calculation.
- Remove scratchbox2 support (#796189).
- Improve DASD support.
- 75 languages are supported in this release.
- Full translation for 8 of them.
Known issues in this release
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
Feedback for this release
We need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.