Debian Installer Stretch RC 3 release
April 10th, 2017
The Debian Installer team is pleased to
announce the third release candidate of the installer for Debian 9
Improvements in this release
- Use SHA256 for verification (#856211).
- Log all debootstrap arguments.
- Try harder to install apt-transport-https and ca-certificates when they're needed (#855035).
- Propagate local certificates using the same logic.
- Fix baum driver restarting when typing too fast on Vario Ultra device (#857558).
- Fix FTBFS with UTF-8 entities in mirror list, e.g. RE/Réunion (#857545).
- Only call sed on /etc/default/rcS to adjust UTC setting when this file exists (#854924).
- Bump Linux kernel version from 4.9.0-1 to 4.9.0-2.
- Fix missing speech synthesis menu entries on some i386 images.
- Make syslinux and EFI boot menus uniform, emphasizing graphical entries.
- Add speech synthesis entries for expert, rescue, and automated install; and make shortcuts point to them.
- Fix support for Korean glyphs by shipping DroidSansFallback.ttf instead of DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf in the fonts-android-udeb package (#853921).
- Make grub-install check for errors from efibootmgr (#853234).
- C.UTF-8.in: change LC_IDENTIFICATION to i18n:2012 (#837004).
- Parse SHA256 fields in Packages files (#856210).
- Parse SHA256 fields in Release files.
- Update versions for changed symbols. Please note that packages impacted by this change were checked within Debian. Derivative distributions might want to double check their packages.
- Fix sfdisk arguments (#855489).
- Implement a preseedable way to skip disk erase (#476388).
- Avoid registering options for non-modules (#853855). The non-modules list is based on the kernel-command-line(7) manpage.
- Update gtk lowmem limits.
- Fix terminal garbage in Debian Installer over serial line (#857808).
Hardware support changes
- Add support for ports which aren't scheduled to be released by looking at an extra unreleased suite where patched or port-specific components are made available, and use unstable instead of testing as a base suite. This fixes the long standing FTBFS on non-released ports (#852215). Please note that other changes related to non-released ports are usually not covered in release announcements.
- Add fb-modules to some loongson-3 configurations (#854553).
- powerpc: Add virtio modules to cdrom/netboot images (#767487).
- Fix grub-xen installation in Xen environments (#854082).
- Use 'p' (not '-part') as multipath disk-partition separator. This fixes the check of whether the boot file system is on multipath.
- Better handling of PReP partitions on ppc64el: prefer PReP partition on the same disk as the boot file system partition.
- Add support for NETGEAR ReadyNAS Duo v2 (#855965).
- Update support for more recent output of 'multipath -l'.
- Accept spaces in multipath WWID.
- Fix resizing an NVMe device (#820818).
- armel: Support for openrd targets has been fixed and enabled again (#856441). Please note that this needs to be enabled again in debian-installer as well.
- 75 languages are supported in this release.
- Full translation for 15 of them.
Known issues in this release
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
Feedback for this release
We need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.