Debian Installer Buster Alpha 2 release
December 6th, 2017
The Debian Installer team is pleased to
announce the second alpha release of the installer for Debian 10
Important notes for this release of the installer
- The unattended-upgrades package is now installed by default through the pkgsel component. The intent is to ensure the automatic installation of security upgrades. Feel free to help documenting this in the release notes! (#883715)
- The important issues with the mips64el architecture seem to have been resolved, and installation images are back accordingly.
Improvements in this release
- Use a temporary workaround to keep exporting invalid variable names (e.g. rescue/enable=true) until a better solution is implemented.
- Enable fgrep, blkdiscard, bzcat, lsssci for the udeb flavour.
- Update Mirrors.masterlist
- Bump Linux kernel ABI from 4.12.0-1 to 4.13.0-1.
- Add support for building against snapshot.debian.org to help debug regressions.
- Add (Ubuntu) bionic as a symlink to gutsy.
- espeakup-udeb.start: Fix case where card 0 does not have an ID or where cards have non-contiguous indexes.
- Handle serial console configuration for systemd.
- Make sure localechooser is able to configure locale during the installation process.
- Merge pkgsel/update-policy preseed from Ubuntu to offer the installation of unattended-upgrades.
- Install/enable unattended-upgrades by default (#875858).
- Optimize update-initramfs calls through a temporary divert.
- Run updatedb if a "locate" implementation is installed (see #883711).
- Run a final "apt-get clean" call at the very end.
- Fix path for udevadm (#852572).
- Add support for the ext4 64bit feature (#833057).
- Remove support for kdesudo (dropped from stretch).
- Stop special-casing of some logins (#875909).
Hardware support changes
- Add udebs to the hd-media image to help detect ISOs in LVM logical volumes (#868852). Note: More components need patches to support this feature.
- Add machine db entries for: Marvell Armada 8040 DB board, Marvell 8040 MACHIATOBin (#878570), SolidRun HummingBoard Solo/DualLite, FriendlyArm NanoPi M1 Plus, and Olimex A20-OLinuXino-LIME2-eMMC.
- 75 languages are supported in this release.
- Full translation for 10 of them.
Known issues in this release
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
Feedback for this release
We need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.