Debian Installer Buster Alpha 5 release
February 2nd, 2019
The Debian Installer team is pleased to
announce the fifth alpha release of the installer for Debian 10
Important change in this release
The Debian Installer team is happy to report that the Buster Alpha 5 release of the installer includes some initial support for UEFI Secure Boot (SB) in Debian's installation media.
This support is not yet complete, and we would like to request some help! A detailed article with more background about Secure Boot and with a pointer to instructions on how to test and report findings has been published separately.
Improvements in this release
- Add support for libzstd.
- Notify gtk-font-set of the zoom factor.
- Bump Linux kernel ABI from 4.18.0-3 to 4.19.0-1.
- Add runtime optimizations (#871835).
- Add support for shim-signed and grub-efi-amd64-signed, default to installing signed packages on amd64.
- Add missing English string "Choose language" to some translations: Bosnian, Hungarian, Tajik.
- Remove reiserfs support (#717534).
- Fix invalid characters in volume group names (#911036).
- When creating a new RAID1/5/6/10 array, start syncing at the minimum speed allowed by the system, instead of letting it run at full speed, slowing down package installation (#838503).
- Embed debian-archive-removed-keys keyring to ensure signature verification is performed successfully.
Hardware support changes
- [arm64] Use arm-trusted-firmware instead of atf-allwinner to build pine64_plus and pinebook images.
- [armhf] Re-enable Firefly-RK3288 image.
- [armhf] Update Build-Depends for u-boot-rockchip.
- udeb: Define mtd-core-modules package to contain MTD core if not built-in.
- udeb: Move MTD core from nic-modules to mtd-core-modules.
- Set the default disklabel type for RISC-V-based systems to gpt.
- 76 languages are supported in this release.
- Full translation for 31 of them.
Known issues in this release
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
Feedback for this release
We need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.