Debian Installer Buster RC 2 release
June 26th, 2019
The Debian Installer team is pleased to
announce the second release candidate of the installer for Debian 10
Improvements in this release
- Update Mirrors.masterlist.
- New section “Unlocking LUKS devices from GRUB” pointing to: https://cryptsetup-team.pages.debian.net/cryptsetup/encrypted-boot.html
- Create images to fit on 16G USB sticks too (for amd64 and i386).
- Tweak package selection to make the multi-arch firmware netinst fit on CD media again (needs a 700MB CD-R): Don't include 686 PAE kernels on these CDs.
- Tweak ordering of snapshot URLs in jigdo images to remove load on snapshot.debian.org.
- Add haveged-udeb [linux] to avoid entropy starvation issues (#923675). Those could affect HTTPS connections, SSH keypair generation, etc.
- Bump Linux kernel ABI from 4.19.0-4 to 4.19.0-5.
- Add œ/Œ glyphs for the French translation.
- Update size limits.
- Relabel “Dark theme” into “Accessible high contrast” (#930569).
- Compress armhf u-boot images with “gzip -n” to avoid embedding timestamps which cause reproducibility issues.
- Wait longer for sound cards.
- Make grub-efi-*-bin recommend efibootmgr, for debugging purposes.
- Make grub-efi work on armhf too (upstream fixes for alignment bugs).
- Add the partman-auto-lvm/guided_size setting to the example preseed config file (#930846).
- Enlarge maximum line length in Packages and Sources files (#554444).
- Update size limits.
- Ship an openssl.cnf in libssl1.1-udeb, fixing wget's TLS issues in the installer (#926315).
- Tweak Arabic translation to avoid a hang at the hard disk step (#929877).
- Update auto-install/defaultroot, replacing stretch with buster (#928031).
- Start haveged when appropriate, to avoid entropy starvation (#923675). This means when the haveged binary is available, and when there's no hardware RNG available.
- Update size limits for the graphical installer.
UEFI Secure Boot updates
Debian's Secure Boot setup is still being polished, the main updates are summarized below.
- Add shim-signed and grub-efi-ARCH-signed to build-dependencies for amd64/i386/arm64.
- Use the signed shim and grub packages for all 3 arches for EFI images.
- Fix the netboot setup for signed grub images to match the previous setup and the existing documentation (#928750).
Hardware support changes
- [arm64] Add support for netboot SD-card-images.
- [arm64] Add u-boot images for a64-olinuxino, orangepi_zero_plus2 and teres_i.
- Add support for NanoPi NEO2.
- udeb: Add all HWRNG drivers to kernel-image (#923675).
- udeb: input-modules: Include all keyboard driver modules.
- [arm64] udeb: kernel-image: Include cros_ec_spi and SPI drivers.
- [arm64] udeb: kernel-image: Include phy-rockchip-pcie.
- [arm64] udeb: usb-modules: Include phy-rockchip-typec and extcon-usbc-cros-ec.
- [arm64] udeb: mmc-modules: Include phy-rockchip-emmc.
- [arm64] udeb: fb-modules: Include rockchipdrm, panel-simple, pwm_bl, and pwm-cros-ec.
- udeb: Drop unused ntfs-modules packages.
- 76 languages are supported in this release.
- Full translation for 39 of them.
Known issues in this release
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
Feedback for this release
We need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.