Debian Installer Bookworm RC 2 release
April 28th, 2023
The Debian Installer team is pleased to
announce the second release candidate of the installer for Debian 12
Improvements in this release
- Enable <codename>-updates when installing testing, not only when installing (old)stable (#991947).
- Restore threading support in the installer (#1034696).
- Install zstd alongside initramfs-tools, like busybox.
- Update Mirrors.masterlist.
- Improve support for low-memory systems (#1028250): Check for physical memory available also in PBKDF benchmark, and use only half of detected free memory on systems without swap.
- Include zstd alongside initramfs-tools, like busybox.
- Fix grub font loading, making sure we get the nice graphical splash screen in Secure Boot mode too (#1034535).
- Install shim-signed on i386 and arm64 as well as amd64 when we're installing grub-efi-*-signed packages.
- If we detect other operating systems installed, check with the user (at low priority) and re-enable os-prober.
- Add debconf logic for GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER to make it easier to control things here, particularly useful for the installer (#1031594, #1012865, #1025698).
- Add luks2 to the signed grub efi images (#1001248).
- Fix probing of LUKS2 devices (#1028301).
- Fix Secure Boot on arm64 (#1033657).
- Don't warn about os-prober if it's not installed (#1020769).
- Fix an issue where a logical volume rename would lead grub to fail to boot (#987008).
- Remove the live packages before the cdrom is unmounted, avoiding a long wait at the end of the installation process.
Hardware support changes
- Adjust OLPC XO-1.75 boot script.
- Add Lenovo Miix 630 and Lenovo Yoga C630.
- Add StarFive VisionFive board.
- Add D1 SoC boards.
- Add QEMU-related “dummy” entries.
- Add A20-OLinuXino_MICRO-eMMC (#1019881).
- Add Lenovo ThinkPad X13s.
- Add Colibri iMX6ULL eMMC.
- Add Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3.
- udeb: add intel_lpss* (optional) to kernel-image (#1032136). Many laptops have their touchpad accessible over I2C, only visible if LPSS is available in the installer.
- 78 languages are supported in this release.
- Full translation for 41 of them.
Known issues in this release
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
Feedback for this release
We need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.