Debian in Polish
Debian is accessible in Polish language too. From installation of the system, to the user interface of the majority of popular programs and the system messages to the documentation. Obviously, there are many things still to be done in this matter, but probably even now you can use Debian without knowing English.
Furthermore, there is a strong Debian users community in Poland, visible through multiple web sites, mailing lists, and forums. At the moment, there are 13 official Debian developers from Poland registered in the project.
Polish Debian resources
- Online Manuals
- Guide for the novice — how to start the adventure with Debian
- Installation and initial configuration of Debian GNU/Linux [HTML] [plain text] [PDF] [PS]
- Debian Reference [HTML] [plain text] — the most comprehensive user manual
- APT HOWTO [HTML] [plain text] [PDF] [PS] — the short handbook about the Debian packages management utility, APT
- Debian New Maintainers' Guide [HTML] [plain text] [PDF] [PS] — how to
create packages in the
- Debian Users Gang — large collection of good articles, FAQs, links
- Polish Debian Portal — active forum, news, articles, FAQ and blogs
- Polish Debian Planet — webpage aggregating Polish blogs and other websites about Debian
- Polish pages on the official project Wiki — you can also co-create Debian or read what others have written
- Wikipedia — concise encyclopedic information
- jakilinux.org — comparison of different Linux distributions
- linux.pl — Polish Linux site, it describes different distributions
Where to look for help in Polish language
- News groups
Debian mailing list
for Polish users — you can subscribe or send e-mail to the address
firstname.lastname@example.org. (It can be also viewed via
mail2news gateways, e.g.
news.amu.edu.pl; you can write through such gateway if you subscribed to the list email@example.com)
- IRC channels
There are several other Polish sites about Debian, but they haven't been updated for some time.
Information about translated packages and Debian web pages are available on the statistics pages.
In order to keep the vocabulary consistent, please use the word list when translating Debian-related resources.
If you would like to help with translation (e.g. installation messages, package descriptions, program interfaces, WWW pages like this one, documentation etc.) or if you have another idea what could be placed on this or other Debian pages, send an e-mail on the firstname.lastname@example.org list.
Formerly a lot of work was put in the Polish Documentation of Debian Project (PDDP), but it seems to be inactive these days.