Even though Debian was started in the U.S. it is an international project. Besides many official developers we have a lot of German speaking contributors who promote Debian GNU in their countries, provide support for this system or try to help people by translating our documents and web pages.
Social Contractwith the Free Software Community
- German user mailing list: web archive, subscribe
- IRC channel Debian.de
Our goal is to provide the Debian distribution and its documentation in German as well. This is helpful for those people who don't speak English well enough to understand it. For most people this is a form of convenience, however for rather old, very young and less experienced people it is required not to be worried with english.
The German translation team has defined some rules which contain wordlists and quoting styles. We try to comply to these rules as much as possible.
There are four big spots where translation is done:
- The website: The most obvious spot and also the most advanced one. If you like to help here you can find the information for that below.
- The Debian Description Translation Project (DDTP): This is about the translation of the package descriptions which the various package tools will present to the user. This is important to help the user to find out which packages are interesting or important for them.
- The central translation page: On this page you can find hints about the localisation and internationalisation of the packages within Debian as well as about the debconf templates files. This point is also important so the user's interaction with the packages is adapted.
- The Debian Documentation Project: This concerns additional documentation like various manuals for users, developers and others. This documents should also be translated for the benefit of our users.
The mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org is intended for discussion and organisation of german translation (subscribe/archive).
Translation of the web site
The translators of the web page need help to keep the translation up to date and to translate new content (e.g. news). If you want to help to translate the website please check out the following resources:
- Status of the German website
- Translation of www.debian.org
- Translation Coordinator(s):
German Translation Team <email@example.com>
- Credits for the translation of www.debian.org
- useful translation suggestions
The translation of the Debian website into German is already quite advanced. Most of the pages not translated yet are old weekly news.